Nora: A Window into Sardinia’s Ancient Past – 01/2014
Nora is one of the oldest cities in Sardinia, located about 50 km away from Cagliari. To get there from Cagliari, one can drive or take public transportation to the neighboring town of Pula and walk about 4 kilometers from there.
Nora was founded around the 8th century BCE and played an important role in ancient times for the Phoenicians and Carthaginians. Today, visitors can explore the city’s fascinating history through its towers and ancient ruins.
One of the most notable landmarks in Nora is the Nora Archaeological Site, where visitors can see the remains of a Roman theater, thermal baths, and ancient mosaics. The site also includes the Nora Museum, which houses artifacts and exhibits related to the history of the city.
In addition to the archaeological site, Nora is known for its beautiful beaches and crystal-clear waters. The Spiaggia di Nora is a popular destination for swimming and sunbathing, while the rocky coves and cliffs along the coast offer stunning views and opportunities for snorkeling and diving.
Nora is also home to a variety of hiking trails and nature reserves, including the Monte Arcosu Nature Reserve and the Is Cannoneris Nature Reserve, which offer opportunities for birdwatching and exploring the local flora and fauna.
Overall, Nora is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in ancient history, outdoor activities, and stunning natural beauty. Its rich cultural heritage and breathtaking landscapes make it a truly unique and unforgettable place to visit.
1. The Torre del Coltellazzo or Tower of Sant’Efisio was built in the 14th century with the primary purpose of defending against pirates.
2. The Chiesa di Sant’Efisio, or the Church of Sant’Efisio, was constructed in the 11th century.
3. There were a lot of seagulls there.
4. They were big and bold. 🦃
5. The Fortress of Sant’Efisio was built on top of an ancient foundation.
6. The coastline of the beach.
7. The ancient acropolis is located at the heart of the Roman Theater of Nora.
8. It’s the beginning of January, but the weather feels like the start of spring. 🌼🌼🌼
9. The streets in ancient Nora.
10. Area archeologica di Nora
R. It’s an interesting place worth visiting.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.